Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bondhu!

Arre ailo na aamaar, praaner bondhu aamaar,
Oporaidhe shoilo
(Why didn't he come? My life, my friend. What was my crime?)


Aamaar bondhu kaino, aailo na
(My friend why, why didn't you come?)

Dhheu bhaange, barh bhaange re
Mono aamaar bhaange
(Waves break, floods break out, my heart breaks)

Dhheu bhaange, barh bhaange re,
Shaupono amaar bhaange
(Waves break, floods break out, my dreams shatter)

Aamaar bhanga hridoy
Jodaa laage
Tori taane re
(Your pull mends my broken heart)

Nodeer paani, chokher paani
Nodi hoiyaa buoy
(River's water, eyes' water, flows like a river)
Arre ei nodi tui
Dekhli aeto
Chokhe dhoira naae
(You have seen enough of the river and the eyes but you still can't behold it in your eyes)

Tor khonjete, paagol hoilaam
Tor praane te praan
(I lose myself in my search for you, in your life is mine)
Aashaar khoonti te
Baindhha aamaar naao
(To your knot of hope is my boat tied).

Lyrics: Indian Ocean
Translation: Siddharth Talapatra.

Being a Hindi speaker, Bengali is not too hard to understand, but a lot is lost in translating it to English. 
How I love the song? And how I love the band? And how I love the times I heard it live in concert, sometimes solitary and sometimes with the dear ones? New York, Alexandria, Berkeley. And, how I loved Asheem!
(Download it from http://www.indianoceanmusic.com/)

1 comment:

  1. (To your knot of hope is my boat tied) bro i have used this same exact line in one of my write ups .... well it's feels great to know that, there is someone somewhere who think alike ...

    ReplyDelete