Saturday, May 8, 2010

Altered Egos

Bored to the bone! What was he thinking getting us here? I would have said ambition but he probably did not  remember the reason himself, and who was I to assume. He needed directions even to his own apartment sometimes. But 10 or 15 girls from an engineering college hostel for a FOOTBALL team. Seriously? "Sikri yaar, thudde maar rahi hai"- he said to me. She looked at me, made a face. WAY TOO MANY RULES!! In midst of the chaos (or strategy, who knows?) we were left behind. Or we may have drifted towards the boundary on our own. Next best thing we come up with? Run around the frikkin field. I HATE running. She loves it though. Poor Whappy/coach- "Yaar, khel lo na". Naahhh.. Sighted: cute guy running in the opposite direction. That's new. Good looking guys in our college were so fresh-off-the-cow-ribeye-rare. We enabled each other. But, we were subjected to whistling and hooting around the boys' hostel too. I don't think I would have ever indulged in Adam-teasing with anyone else. Second guy of the evening annoyed with us.

Time lapse start. Exams. Running away on birthdays. Inebriation. Silliness. Warden scoldings. Job-interviews. Break-ups. Last sutta in her balcony together. Jobs. Make-ups. Masters. Convergence from the two ends of a continent. Time lapse stop.

It is a small quiet studio apartment in the middle of a very noisy city. She hasn't spoken a word since yesterday making it even quieter. Then, we have never needed those ostentatious buggers between us anyway. But, she's all grown up now, or at least pretends to be. She tries to shake me into adulthood too. FU@#. No. No. No. "You have to get serious and leave the crazy bone aside"- she says. Scolding for me and another one-seventh over the email to quit our vice. Intervention planning with the other how-ever-many-sevenths. Who gets that concerned? She does. She knows more about me than anyone else. She probably knows me better than anyone else too. Do I get her as well? Bertolucci's Isabelle would have concurred: "Siamese twins joined at the head".

No comments:

Post a Comment